I’m now using a Virtual Windows 7 OS to write this post in my original-installed Windows XP OS PC. Cool huhh?? Yes, I think so. As for some personal reason, I’m not allow to uninstall Windows XP in my PC but I still wondering to use my lovely Windows 7 on this old machine. I found an idea from the next, is to install an virtual Windows 7 machine on my PC. How does it works? Let’s see.
Pre-steps To Complete Before Installation
The first step you need to complete is to download the essential software and OS software. In this installation tutorial, I used VMware player and Windows 7 Starter.
VMware player is a totally FREE software and it is use for users to try out the available OS in the market.
VMware Player is the easiest way to run multiple operating systems at the same time on your PC. With its user-friendly interface, VMware Player makes it effortless for anyone to try out Windows 7, Chrome OS or the latest Linux releases, or create isolated virtual machines to safely test new software and surf the Web. VMware Player can also be used to run a virtual copy of an old PC so that you can recycle the old machines you have under your desk or stored in the closet.
Windows 7 Starter OEM 32bit
*The download file below is for trial use. You need to purchase the products from Windows if you think for long term use.
1. First, Install the VMware player into your pc. You do not need any extra setting on this installation.
2. Execute the installed VMware Player. You should now see diagram below.
3. Click on “Create a New Virtual Machine”, another windows prompt appear and ask you to select your *.iso file. Check on the installer disc image file (iso) button, and select your directory. (You can install the OS with your installer disc if it is available)
4. Continue to click Next. Now, you need to key in your windows product key and the Windows version to install. You may skip this step for trial reason.
5. Next step is to insert your virtual machine name and the installation location. Click Next to continue.
6. Now, specify your virtual disk capacity (how many total size you need for the virtual disk capacity, 40GB is recommended for Windows 7 )
7, Next step is to complete your VMware player installation. (Actually, you can customize the hardware setting but I recommend to use default, you can do the set-up as well after complete installation, it doesn’t matter.)
8. Click finish to create your virtual machine.
9. You are almost complete the whole installation process. Now, is to complete the Windows 7 installation within the VMware virtual machine.
10. You may enjoy Windows 7 now in your pc once installation is completed.
**A soft reminder, your pc hardware should also to support Windows 7 hardware minimum requirement, else you will feel extremely laggy with your pc because 2 OS are running at the same time (To me, I ran XP externally and Wndows 7 on VMware). A hint here, before you launch the virtual machine, close the unnecessary programs and make sure you can run smooth in VMware player. Enjoy! Feel free to drop your comments and questions.
**Same steps could be applied to Mac OS on your PC too. I have tried it before.. Pretty nice and amazing experience..