To be frank, Windows Phone is still growing, in time being, the apps are very limited and it is still not user-friendly comparing to Android and iOS. However, this is the fun part to me to discover and digg some useful WP apps/desktop apps to play with my HTC HD2 windows phone 7. Here is one of the Windwos Phone desktop app that I think you should try if you own a WP7 phone. The app is handy and well-manage my WP apps, transfer file and even install 3rd party apps ^^
What Is TouchXperience & Windows Phone Device Manager?
Windows Phone Device Manager allows you to manage your Windows Phone 7 device from your PC, you can simply view, install and uninstall "sideloaded" applications, explore device, transfer and sync files,… It is compatible with all Windows Phone 7 devices. You can also connect to your phone via Wi-Fi, for example to transfer files from/to your phone using Windows Phone Device Manager or the provided Windows Phone application.
Windows Phone Device Manager features:
Applications management: view, install/uninstall homebrew applications
File management: explore device, exchange files with your phone
Files & folders synchronization
Integration with Windows explorer
Send to Windows Phone (to send files, apps, ringtones, web links in one click)
Device backup (if MS allow it)
Add and manage custom ringtones
Send SMS, E-mail, notes directly from PC (without needing cloud services)
Shared clipboard with PC and phone
Use your phone as a remote control (control mouse, keyboard and navigation in Windows Media Center)
Nice integration with Windows Vista/7: jumplists, widgets, aero effects,…
Programming sends notifications to phone
Initiate connection from PC or phone
Wireless connection support
Auto pairing (no need to enter PC or phone IP address)
Open marketplace for non-commercial applications (if developers are interested)
TouchXperience for Windows Phone features:
- Custom panels and widgets
- Interactive backgrounds
- Applications and games launcher
- File explorer
- Contact manager
- Communication manager
- Profile manager
- Task manager
- RSS reader
- Web radios
- Integration with Facebook and Twitter
- DLNA support
- Network drives support
- Skydrive support
- G-scrolling support
- Windows Sideshow support (if MS let me create drivers and services)
- Live tile support
How To Install & Use Windows Phone Device Manager from TouchXperience?
As a beginner in hacking Windows Phone 7, I experienced difficulty to use this app where I do not get any clear instruction from any website or even touchxperience website to install this app. Is best I lead you to install this app ^^
1. Make sure you own a Windows Phone and a PC ^^
2. Make sure your Windows Phone (in this case, I use my HD2) is unlocked (How? Refer here, Important)
3. Download Windows Phone Device Manager here.
4. Install & run Windows Phone Device Manager in your PC.
5. You may see the message prompt “Support not available to unregistered user” but you can proceed because this is public version. Donate if you wish.
6. You should see something like diagram above (You may not able to see your model or storage for first timer)
7. Connect your Windows Phone to PC via USB.
8. Your Windows Phone is now detected by Windows Phone Device Manager. WP Device Manager will show “HTC HD7 is plugged into USB”. The Windows Logo is still in blue color.
9. However, you still not manage to use it. Why? Because your WP haven’t get TouchXperience installed. Next is to sideload TouchXperience into your WP.
10. Make sure your WP is not screen-locked. Follow diagram below, click “Connect” on the dropdownlist.
11. Now, WP Device Manager will automatically sideload TouchXperience into your WP.
12. Check your application list now, you should see TouchXperience been installed in your WP. First Timer, remember to manual open the app else WP device manger is not able to connect your WP. (Important)
13. Once the app is triggered, you are connected. You can do whatever you wish now. Done!!!